Saturday, September 19, 2009

The Best Job Ever

I've held many jobs in my life; some of them good and others bad. There is, however, one job that stands out in my mind as being the best. This was my position as Cashier at Sloan's Supermarket [Sloan's] on Roosevelt Island in New York.

It all started when I was 16 years old. My sister, then 17, worked at Sloan's. Each Friday she would come home with her paycheck looking as if she'd won the lottery; and each Saturday she would go on her weekly shopping excursion with her friends, purchasing all of the new jeans [Bill Blass at that time], shoes and accessories that were out on the market. Admiring all of my sister's new clothes, I realized there was only one thing for me to do, and that was to ask her if she could get me a job at Sloan's as well. The next day she spoke to her Manager, George, and a week later I became a part-time employee of Sloan's. My sister and I would walk to work after school over a small bridge that slightly shook and made my knees buckle each time I crossed. But, I didn't allow that to deter me; I was a proud Sloan's employee now. We worked from 5:00pm - 9:30pm behind the register assisting customers with the check-out process; and after the store closed, we would re-stock the unwanted groceries [also known as throw-backs] and clean up our work stations. Often times, it became challenging dealing with some of the more difficult customers, and walking around re-stocking throw-backs after standing all day behind the register, but I constantly reminded myself that I was a proud Sloan's employee now. I showed up on all of my scheduled days; never skipping a beat. I was getting a weekly paycheck and gaining a sense of independence at the same time. One day, after clocking in, George asked to speak with me. He informed me that the new store policy did not allow relatives to work in the same store. I could continue working at Sloan's, but I would have to be transferred to a different location on 2nd Avenue in Manhattan. I pondered the transfer overnight, and graciously accepted it the following day. After working in Manhattan for approximately two weeks, I concluded that traveling from Queens to Manhattan each day after school and getting home at 10:30pm was simply not feasible. As a result, I tendered my resignation to Sloan's.
In the end, I was no longer a proud Sloan's employee, but I had become a proud, now 17-year old, who was given the opportunity to experience being a part of a hard-working team and earn a paycheck. I now knew the feeling of having someone rely on me to perform a job and to not let them down. And, in not letting them down, I didn't let myself down because this experience is something that I have carried with me more than 20 years later. I began working at Sloan's so I could wear the latest fashions, and I ended up wearing something so much greater....commitment, diligence and independence. And, if I may be so bold as to say so myself, I wear them well!!











2 comments:

  1. i to worked at the roosevelt island store and might have been the produce manager giving you the evil eye watching you eat my profits just kidding my name is joe anello i was there when george trager (skinny with glasses) and richie smith was meat manager and i to feel that was a great job

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Look at that. Someone else who worked there too.

    Sometimes the commute isn't worth it.

    ReplyDelete