Saturday, December 5, 2009

Course Reflection of ENG 111-63

In the Fall of 2009, I enrolled in Tidewater Community College in Virginia Beach after being out of school for the past 24 years. One of my classes was ENG 111-63, taught by adjunct instructor, Paul Gasparo. It was very refreshing for me to return to school, because I certainly was not committed at 17. So, needless to say, I took my work seriously from day one.

On the first day of class, Paul gave some very simple college lessons, and three of them stuck with me the entire time. Those three lessons were (1) assess your instructor and make sure there is a "good fit" between the two of you, (2) follow your instructor's directions on assignments, and (3) don't be afraid to ask for help. During this semster, the Course Calendar changed quite a bit. All students were encouraged to check their TCC email and Blackboard on a regular basis to ensure that they were kept abreast of all assignments. If this was not being done, it was very easy to get lost in the class.

There are a few things that I did not like about the class; the first one being the many readings of Bruce Springstein lyrics. I don't particularly like or dislike Bruce Springstein; and I could not figure out how these lessons fit into the class. Not until we did our final diagnostic essay did I have a better understanding of what Paul was trying to teach us with these lyrics. He was trying to teach us that, initially, you can write something one way. Afterwards, you can rethink it and revise that document to where it is totally different than the first draft, and pull your audience into your story at the same time. This was not a bad lesson to learn, especially after we had learned so much about grammar, punctuation and citing. Another thing that I did not like was being required to print out so many reading assignments and carry them to class each week. By the time this class was over, my folder was so full of papers, it made me want to scream! But, I guess this is a minor thing to complain about. The last thing I did not like is exactly what I am doing right now, which is blogging. I have learned a little more about blogging since the first time, but initially, I could not catch on at all. I had to get a 1:1 lesson on how to do it. I can say for sure that blogging is something that I will not continue doing after this class is over.
What I did enjoy in this class was learning how to write again and feel comfortable doing it. I enjoyed free writing, which is when we were asked to write for approximately 15 minutes about anything we wanted to write about. It could be in full sentences or sentence fragments, but the ultimate goal was to just let your thoughts flow freely and write. We were required to get a little handbook, which we referred to as the Aaron handbook. This is, undoubetedly, the best book I have ever purchased, and I have decided to keep it forever to help me with all of my future classes. In addition to other things, this book gives a lot of instruction on grammar, punctuation, and citing that will certainly help me with my other classes in the future. Everything that I hoped to learn in this class is exactly what I did learn: how to write, how to critique the writing of my peers, and how to let my thoughts flow freely. With the many writing assignments that we were required to do, I learned how to open my mind to the fullest and write freely without fear.

For all of Paul's future students; if you are not committed to school at this point in your life, this will not be an easy class for you to take. If you have decided that school is what you want to do at this time, and you are totally committed, you will have no problem at all. Paul makes it very easy if you can just stay focused and follow along. Paul always makes himself available for students who need help with any of the assignments, whether it be after class or through the Online Writing Lab.
I have really enjoyed this class, and I feel that I have been prepared to meet ENG 112 head on!





1 comment:

  1. I'm going to have to find that mug. It may be a borrowed idea from A League of Their Own, but it's still plenty funny.

    ReplyDelete